University of Calgary
UofC Navigation

FAQs by Current Students

Submitted by dfto on Wed, 07/11/2007 - 2:46pm

I am not an Honours Student, how do I get permission to enroll in Econ 387, 389, or 497?

Prior to August 8, admission into these three classes is restricted to students in the Honours program. On August 8, registration in all three classes is opened up to all students on a first come, first served basis.

I want to take an Economics course but it's full. Does the Department allow overloads?

All Economics courses have enrollment limits – overloads will not be approved. However, our records indicate a number of changes in course registration within the drop/add period. Students wishing to register in courses that are full should attend the classes and check daily the status of course registration.

I want to take an Economics course but I don't have the stated prerequisite(s). What is "consent of the department"?

It is normally required to take all prerequisites before advancing to subsequent courses; however, in certain cases it is possible to have a prerequisite waived. You must first (1) obtain permission from the instructor of the course to take his/her course without the prerequisite, then (2) see anEconomics Advisor for final approval.

Where can I see my final grade?

Final grades are posted on the Infonet.

I got a grade of D in one of my courses. Will I be able to use it as a prerequisite?

A grade of D is termed a "minimal pass". It is not a failing grade, but is generally insufficient preparation for subsequent courses in the same subject. A student planning to major in economics who receives a D should consult an Economics Advisor.

Who is "Dr. Prague"?

There are several courses listed in the timetable as "Prague"; these are courses offered in Prague, Czech Republic.

I registered for Econ 201 and I just found out the section I'm in is taught in French.

When you are registering, please be aware that the Department offers a section taught in French for both Econ 201 and 203.

How many withdrawals am I allowed to take?

The maximum number of courses a student is allowed to withdraw from is 10 (10 half-course equivalents, or 5 full-course equivalents). For more information, consult the Undergraduate Programs Office (4th floor of MacEwan Hall).

May I get permission to add a 6th course to my course load?

Normally the maximum course load for a student in Fall or Winter Session is five courses; however, this is subject to individual faculty requirements. Students wishing to take more than the normal course load should see Dr. Gaisford, the Associate Dean, Students in the Program Informaion Centre (SS 103),..

How do I get consent to repeat a course for the third time?

A student may repeat a course previously attempted (including withdrawals) only once. Permission to enroll in a course for the 3rd time is granted only under exceptional circumstances and the student must make an appointment to see Dr. Gaisford, the Associate Dean, Students in the Program Informaion Centre (SS 103).

I want to appeal a grade. What do I do?

  • Course work: Students seeking reappraisal of a piece of graded term work should discuss their work with the Instructor within two weeks of the work being returned to the class.
  • Final exam: First, speak with your instructor and review your final exam. If you still wish to file an appeal, fill out a "Request for Reappraisal" form at the Registrar's office and your final exam will be reappraised by another Economics instructor. Be aware that your mark may go up, it may go down, or it may remain the same – and no other appeal will be allowed. Check the deadline dates in the current course Calendar.

Where can I get a copy of a previous exam?

Previous mid-term exams are available in the S.U.E. office; check their web site for office location and hours. Previous finals are available in the Student Union Copy Centre.

Get Connected