External requirements for the Major in Economics consist of two types, those required by the Department and those required by the Faculty of Arts.
External Requirements of the Department of Economics:
The Department of Economics requires the following courses external to the Department:
- Math 249 Introductory Calculus or
- Math 265 Calculus I
- Stats 205 Introduction to Statistical Inquiry or
- Stats 213 Introduction to Statistics I
Note: Math 211 is not a required course but it is strongly recommended to all
Requirements of the Faculty of Arts:
1. Successful Completion of TWENTY (20) FULL courses with:
(a) a minimum overall GPA of 2.0
(b) Not more than 3 FULL courses with D or D+ grades
(c) Not more than 1 FULL course with D or D+ grades in the Major (e.g., ECON)
2. Transfer courses:
(a) Not more than 10 FULL courses can be transferred from other institutions
(b) At most 4 FULL courses transferred from other institutions can count towards the major field (e.g., ECON)
3. A minimum of 7 and maximum of 10 FULL courses in the major (e.g., ECON)
4. At most 8 FULL courses at the junior (200) level
5. A minimum of 1 FULL course Area III (Science-Related): All courses from the Faculty of Science. Note: Math 249 or 265 and Stats 205 or 213 count toward this total.
6. A maximum of one full-course equivalent physical activity course (Dance Education Activity/Theory, Outdoor Pursuits Activity/Theory, and Physical Education Activity/Theory) may be credited towards degree program requirements.
BA Degrees are granted "with Distinction" to students achieving a GPA above 3.6 on the final 30 one-term courses counting toward their degrees.
Advice on recommended non-economics courses that are complementary to a degree in economics can be found in the section in Section 7.3, "Recommended Options".